NRNP 6660 Midterm Exam Study Guide Material
1. Agreement as to process: 1. introduction
2. consent to proceed
3. nature of interaction
4. amount of time for the interview
5. assess if treatment is voluntary or involuntary
2. Define privacy and confidentiality: 1. Assure privacy, explain
meaning of con- fidentiality and who information will be shared
2. explain duty to warn
3. fee family members with the patient present, ensure consent is
given (provider should listen not present information.
4. If recordings or one way mirrors are used patient must be
informed and give consent.
3. Define respect and consideration: Treatment patients with
respect and be considerate to circumstance to alleve or not
further aggravate anxiety
4. Define Rapport: Harmonious responsiveness of the provider to
the patient. Em- pathic interventions increase rapport to understand
patient feelings while maintain- ing objectivity mostly nonverbal
(putting pen down or leaning towards patient)
5. What is a crucial element of empathy: Objectivity as it
differentiates empathy from identification.
Identification causes lose of objectivity and blurs boundaries.
6. What are the ingredients for good patient provider
relationship: 1. Desire for help
2. Providers respect and consideration
3. non-judgmental attitude
4. demonstration by provider they understand what patient is
stating or emoting
5. patient thinks provider cares
6. genuiness of provider.
7. What questions about self should the provider answer: 1.
Provider qualifica- tions, if sarcastic address issue that provoked