NR 509 Final Exam Review Guide
1. Suspicious breast mass: -A mobile mass that becomes fixed when the arm
relaxes is attached to the ribs and intercostal muscles; if fixed when the hand is
pressed against the hip, it is attached to the pectoral fascia.
-Hard irregular poorly circumscribed nodules, fixed to the skin or underlying tis-
sues, strongly suggest cancer
2. Risk for Breast cancer: --*Age*
-family history of breast/ovarian CA
- inherited genetic mutations,
-personal history of breast cancer
- high levels of endogenous hormones
- breast tissue density
- proliferative lesions with atypia on breast biopsy, - duration of unopposed estro-
gen exposure related to early menarche
-age of first full-term pregnancy
- late menopause.
- breastfeeding for less than 1 year,
- postmenopausal obesity
-cigarette smoking, alcohol ingestion,
- physical inactivity, and type of contraception.
3. Characteristics of a breast cyst: Soft to firm, round, mobile, often tender.