NUR 2180 Physical Assessment Module 5 Quiz GI,GU,Breast and Axilla
NUR 2180 Physical Assessment Module 5 Quiz GI, GU,
Breast and Axilla
1. How do we perform light palpation on the abdomen?: use first 4 fingers to depress the skin
about 1 cm inside and move it in a rotation motion, clockwise.
2. GI assessment order: inspect, auscultate, percuss, palpate
3. Why do we listen before we palpate the abdomen?: so we do not disrupt or dislodge
anything within the bowels.
4. What is voluntary guarding?: Patient volitionally tenses the abdominal mus- cles when the
5. What things do we feel for when palpating the abdomen?: organs, size, consistency,
masses, temperature, tenderness, pain, mobility
6. Where do we percuss for kidney tenderness?: on the posterior surface at the
12th rib at the CVA angle.
7. How do we percuss for kidney tenderness?: indirectly with a hand and fist. look for signs of
8. What are the signs of breast cancer?: lumps or masses felt in the breasts or axilla, movable
lumps, dimpled or reddened skin, tenderness to touch
9. What is the role of the RN during a male or female GU exam?: Assist the provider with the
exam by holding the patient, giving them tools, collecting specimens and advocating for the
10. hypoactive bowel sounds are: sound every 5-6 seconds